The 8-hour break at the Irvine apartment ends with 2 in custody – Orange County Register

An hour-long break in an Irvine apartment over reports of a stolen vehicle and high-speed chase resulted in the arrest of a gunman on suspicion of assault and kidnapping late Wednesday April 28th.

28-year-old Daniel Ramirez was charged with suspicion of kidnapping, attack with a lethal weapon, threat of crime and pending arrest warrants, Irvine Police Sgt. Karie Davies said. He was taken into custody after he reportedly held a man he met a few days earlier in his own home.

The resident, who was being held against his will, was flogged with a gun but was allowed to leave just before Ramirez and his girlfriend, 27-year-old Mallory Arredondo, barricaded themselves in the apartment. The victim informed police that there were several firearms inside, which resulted in the dispatch of a SWAT team and the evacuation of around 15 neighboring units.

Events leading up to the standoff began when a resident of the Irvine Spectrum village near the Irvine Center and Quasar Drives called the police at around 9 a.m. on Wednesday. He informed the authorities that Ramirez and Arredono had taken his Ford Mustang without permission. Officials discovered the missing car near the complex at 12:27 p.m., just minutes after finishing the interview with the victim.

The car started when police tried to stop the traffic, Davies said. His driver blew through red lights and sped in and out of the nearby 405 Freeway.

Connected: 41 people died in police operations in California last year

Police stopped the high-speed chase to prevent the suspect’s dangerous driving from causing a collision, Davies said. The officers returned to the victim’s home and found that the stolen vehicle was running in the underground car park of the complex at 12:42 p.m. but was unoccupied

The officers tried to call the owner of the car, but he didn’t answer. He was trapped in his own apartment with Ramirez and Arredondo at the time, the police said.

A drone was used to conduct surveillance and announce that police are searching the area, Davies said. Upon hearing the announcement, the couple allowed the victim to leave his home and then quickly closed the door behind them.

A SWAT team was called and spent hours negotiating with Ramirez and Arredondo over the phone, Davies said. When efforts to persuade them to surrender proved unsuccessful, officials fired less than fatal shots to break the residence’s windows.

“The device is loud so they may have been motivated to give up at this point,” said Davies.

Arredondo left the building around 8:43 p.m., followed by Ramirez about 10 minutes later, police said. Both were taken into custody unharmed, Davies said.

An AR-15 style firearm with a missing serial number and two handguns were found in the apartment. The guns were in various stages of dismantling and detectives believe Ramirez took them apart while negotiating his surrender.

Ramirez was held on Thursday night on bail for $ 300,500. He was due to appear in court on April 30th. Arredondo was cited in connection with a pending arrest warrant and was later released.

Comments are closed.