GAME 37: Oregon State (26-10) vs UC Irvine (22-12)
April 24, 2021 • 1:00 p.m. PT • Irvine, Calif. • Cicerone Field at Anteater Ballpark
LHP Cooper Hjerpe (2-3, 2.05) vs. LHP Nick Pinto (4-2, 2.92)
Oregon State and UC Irvine continue their three-game streak on Saturday afternoon. The first place on Cicerone Field in the Anteater Ballpark is scheduled for 1 p.m.
All games will be broadcast 30 minutes before the first pitch on the Beaver Sports Network. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM and 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM and 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM and 96.1-AM FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games before 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490 -AM (Salem, weekend games).
To watch the game online, visit osubeavers.com and see the live broadcast on the Oregon State Baseball Schedule page. The games can be heard using the TuneIn application, available for smartphones and tablets (search the Beaver Sports Network).
The game will not be broadcast.
The game can also be found online at OSUBeavers.com. Click the schedule link for a direct link to the live video.
A live video stream produced by the State of Oregon will be available. Visit the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com for a link.
Matthew Gretler drove home winning runs in the 11th inning when the Beavers beat UC Irvine 7-5 on Friday afternoon. Jacob Melton scored a home run with two outs and two runs in the ninth inning, while Ryan Ober completed his seventh home run of the season as a team leader in the eighth. Joey Mundt, the last of seven pitchers from the US state of Oregon, recorded the parade with a goalless eleventh place. It was his first of the season.
Seven, then six
• Ryan Ober scored his seventh home run of the season as team leader in the eighth. Then he watched Jacob Melton finish his sixth of the year in ninth.
• Obers shot was Beaver’s eighth in season eight, while OSU recorded three in season nine.
• Friday marked the third time this season Ober and Melton have played a home game in the same game. The duo also did so against Utah on April 2 and against California on April 16, both Beaver wins.
Help on the road
• Oregon State’s likely starter Cooper Hjerpe is 2-1 away from Goss Stadium this season.
• The left has held opponents for 11 hits in 23 1/3 innings. He has a earned run average of 1.93 and Hjerpe has done five hikes to 21 strikeouts.
• Oregon State is now 5-9 this season if it follows after six innings. The beavers are 3-9 if they follow after seven and 1-9 if they follow the ninth.
• The beavers are now 9-3 in real street games and 12-4 in games outside the Goss Stadium.
• The OSU have beaten their opponents 24: 3 in 27 games this season.
• Ten of Oregon State’s twelve hits on Friday came from the seventh inning.
• OSU knocked out 15 batters on Friday, beating 10 or more for the 26th time this season. The Beavers have 382 in their first 36 games and are on pace for 594 in the regular season.
• Matthew Gretler has two consecutive RBI efforts, giving him seven for his career.
• Garret Forrester has reached the base safely in 12 consecutive games. He’s also scored well in four straight.
• OSU is 11-4 in games decided by two runs or less.
• The OSU is in April from 8 am to 5 pm.