Irvine Meadow three Blantyre Vics 2: Final Gasp Personal Objective Presents Medda shatters and takes the win

An own goal after the last breath helped Irvine Meadow score a classic goal and take the win to end the year on a high note.

The Ayrshire team needed a second half but somehow finished fourth in the West of Scotland Premier with all three points.

Blantyre’s midfielder Stefan Law was the unlucky fall man who turned Connor Boyd’s cross into his own net after five minutes.

It was literally the penultimate kick of the ball that referee David Milton blew all day after restarting the game.

But Meadow also had goalkeeper Kyle Marley to thank for the result after his heroics kept Blantyre from scoring a late winner of their own.

The visitors had fought twice against Boyd’s strikes and Meadow had put back most of the last 20 minutes but simply couldn’t inflict the fatal blow.

Jamie Henderson got a rare start in the Meadow midfield

An extremely fun competition started in bitterly cold conditions, but it didn’t take long for the action in the park to warm up.

Blantyre’s first chance came in seven minutes when Lewis MacDonald got past the back post to reach the end of Sam MacKenzie’s cross, but he couldn’t get his feet set enough to get a shot on target.

It proved a costly miss when Meadow stormed forward three minutes later.

Continue reading

Dylan Pooler’s succinct passport sent Boyd clear the left channel and he cut into it to push a cool side foot finish into the far corner of the net.

Meadow’s lead was short-lived, however, and Blantyre danger man Nadeem Zeb escaped his marker in fifteen minutes to direct a cut past a helpless Marley from eight meters away.

Andy McLaughlin provided Medda’s creative spark

Blantyre gave Meadow all sorts of problems – especially in the wide open spaces – with her attack-oriented style of play.

But their gung-ho approach left gaps at the back that Meadow could exploit.

Boyd went close with a curling attempt in 31 minutes after the ball broke friendly for him on the edge of the box.

Liam Miller then fired a shot from roughly the same distance as the hosts tried to bring their noses forward again.

Continue reading

Their persistence paid off four minutes before break when Andy McLaughlin slid a tantalizing ball over the six-yard line and the unmarked Boyd had the simple task of knocking home.

Meadow was almost worthy of her lead at break, but in the second half when Blantyre took control, it was a different story.

They were balanced again within five minutes. MacKenzie tied Neil Slooves in the center of the box before shoving the ball onto the unmarked MacDonald on the back post for the easiest finish.

Eddie McTernan in the middle of the action

The visitors should have taken the lead for the first time that game just past the hour when MacDonald rounded Marley on the edge of the box, but his shot was weak allowing Nathan Baird to come back and make an important block.

Pooler should have punished Blantyre when McLaughlin slipped him two minutes later, but his first touch was heavy so Blantyre keeper Liam Campbell was able to save at his feet.

Pooler and striker Michael Forsyth were soon replaced by trialists Eddie McTernan and Fraser McMillan, but the changes couldn’t disrupt Blantyre’s rhythm.

A couple of goal-line clears and some smart saves from Marley kept them in check, but the great goalkeeper was really making his corn in the final minutes.

It’s party time for Meadow

He made a breathtaking stop at close range and then got up again to somehow recover from his web.

Blantyre might have started to think it wasn’t her day, but things were going to get worse.

One last breath from Medda caused Boyd to burst a bowel to get to the sideline, and his driven flank was hit by Law, who only managed to divert the ball into his own net.

Comments are closed.