Irvine attack: Suspect arrested on video in attack on 69-year-old man

IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) – A man suspected of brutally assaulting a 69-year-old man in Irvine last week was arrested Thursday after investigators received an anonymous tip, police said.

Keven Quiroz, 23, is charged with assaulting the man in a videotaped attack last Friday night at Sierra Vista Middle School.

Investigators suspect the attack stemmed from an argument over Quiroz, who kept his dog on a leash, said Sgt. Karie Davies of the Irvine Police Department. Davies said it does not appear that the victim’s ethnicity was a factor in the attack. The victim was walking his dog at the time.

Surveillance videos and photos were released on Monday, which police said led to the anonymous lead that Quiroz had been identified as a possible suspect.

RELATED: Suspect searched for an attack on 69-year-old man in Irvine

Investigators said the victim tried to protect his dog from being attacked by the unleashed dog.

When the victim tried to defend his dog, the suspect hit the older man on the back of the head. The victim left the scene with the dog and was later taken to hospital for treatment.

Quiroz was arrested at his home in Tustin, where police claim they have found evidence linking him to the attack. According to the IPD, he was booked on suspicion of being attacked with a deadly weapon and abusing the elderly.

An unloaded rifle was also found in the suspect’s vehicle. Police say the gun was unrelated to the case, but detectives are trying to determine if the suspect legally obtained it.

Irvine police initially described the suspect as a man in his late teens.

The City News Service contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2021 KABC-TV. All rights reserved.

Comments are closed.