Beith Zero Irvine Meadow 0: Goalkeepers shine whereas Mighty holds some extent with 10 males

Beith survived the last 20 minutes with 10 men to frustrate Meadow and take a point.

Larry McMahon was shown a straight red card for a lunge on Andy McLaughlin to let the mighty against it.

But Meadow has not done nearly enough to take advantage of her numerical advantage in this clash with Premier in the west of Scotland.

Beith goalkeeper Dale Burgess had few problems in the closing stages when Meadow struggled in the final third.

Continue reading

Medda substitute Michael Reilly scored a last minute chance over the bar but that was as close as the guests in the second half.

The 45 minute opening was a different story, with Burgess the busier of the two goalkeepers.

He was put into action as early as the third minute to deny Connor Boyd with a brilliant save.

Former Killie starlet Boyd led Beith’s mid-pair pair Danny O’Neill and Nicky Docherty to a fun dance on the edge of the box and shot a shot intended only for Burgess to fly over his goal and tip Ball back to the corner.

Steven Noble and Ryan McKie get tangled

Ryan McKie had an even better chance in nine minutes, but Burgess put out a foot to block his attempt from ten yards.

Meadow was at the top, and Liam Miller next threatened a shot that went way past the target.

Beith didn’t show up as an attacking force until the 15th minute when a quick counterattack released Darren Ramsey on the left, but his hanging cross was meat and drink for meadow keeper Kyle Marley.

Continue reading

Kenny McLean came closer in 18 minutes with a fleeting header that Marley saw sneaking past the post.

The home team were enjoying their best spell of the game and a free kick routine straight from the training ground resulted in a Ramsay shot that Marley saved the second time.

Paul Frize loses ownership

The goalkeeper had to look smart to throw another free kick – this time from Connor McGlinchey – around the post in 34 minutes.

Sixty seconds later, it was Burgess’ turn to shine with a flying parade on its top corner to deny Jamie Martin.

The last 10 minutes of the first half passed without much action at either end.

Beith had the advantage of downplaying the famous Bellsdale Park slope after the break, and Kevin Watt forced Marley to parry at his near post within the first 60 seconds.

Meadow’s first chance in the half came just before the hour. Boyd was unable to steer Ryan McKie’s flank at the target from six yards.

Marley then came down well, deep to his left, to turn a Ramsay shot from 20 yards to the corner.

Meadow made a double sub in 65 minutes, Miller and Martin made way for Reilly and Dylan Pooler.

And six minutes later they got a huge boost when McMahon received his marching orders.

The midfielder presented McLaughlin with a challenge that the Whistler Gentles considered dangerous and worthy of a red card despite the protests of the home team.

That should have been the signal for Meadow to score all three, but their decision in the final third meant they never really tested Burgess again.

Beith keeper Dale Burgess had a good game between the sticks

Indeed, they held their breath for another minute on the clock as Ramsay’s swinging corner almost sneaked into the back post.

Meadow finally broke the Beith backline in the last few seconds, but Reilly shot his shot from the edge of the box when he could easily have moved a few yards forward and the ball flew high over the crossbar.

Comments are closed.