GAME 36: Oregon State (25-10) vs UC Irvine (22-11)
April 23, 2021 • 3:00 p.m. PT • Irvine, Calif. • Cicerone Field at Anteater Ballpark
RHP Kevin Abel (3-3, 3.09) versus RHP Trenton Denholm (3-1, 3.98)
Oregon State opens a conference-less, three-game series with UC Irvine on Friday. The first place on Cicerone Field in the Anteater Ballpark is scheduled for 3 p.m.
All games will be broadcast 30 minutes before the first pitch on the Beaver Sports Network. Affiliates include KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM and 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM and 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM and 96.1-AM FM (Medford, weekend games), Rip City Radio 620-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games before 5:30 p.m.), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490 -AM (Salem, weekend games).
To watch the game online, visit osubeavers.com and find the live coverage on the Oregon State Baseball Schedules page. The games can be heard using the TuneIn application, available for smartphones and tablets (search the Beaver Sports Network).
The game will not be broadcast.
The game can also be found online at OSUBeavers.com. Click the schedule link for a direct link to the live video.
A live video stream produced by the State of Oregon will be available. Visit the baseball schedule page on osubeavers.com for a link.
Matthew Gretler made his first home run of the season and Greg Fuchs scored three career goals to beat Oregon State 11-3 against Portland in Corvallis on Tuesday night. Joe Casey drove three races for the Beavers, who won their 14th game in a row against the pilots at Corvallis. Nathan Burns took the win after scoring three hits in 2 1/3 innings with goalless relief.
Against UC Irvine
• The kick-off on Friday is only the sixth meeting of all time between the teams. UC Irvine has a narrow 3-2 advantage in the all-time series.
• The meeting is the first in Irvine.
• The clubs last met at the Corvallis Regional 2014, where the anteaters rose 2-1 to an NCAA Super Regional.
• The Beavers defeated UC Irvine 7-1 in the 2007 College World Series. The win brought the OSU to the CWS Finals, where the Beavers swept North Carolina.
• Mitch Canham and Darwin Barney both went 3-5 in their 2007 win over UC Irvine. Canham hit a home run and drove in three while Barney drove in two.
• The Oregon opener on Friday is the first of eight consecutive games for the Beavers, who take an 11-4 record out of Goss Stadium.
• The OSU beats in these 15 games with 0.297, which corresponds to a total of 15 home runs with 34 doubles and six triples.
• On the hill, the Beavers have an ERA of 2.07, which allows for just 31 earned runs in 134 2/3 innings. The OSU only allowed 77 hits and 45 walks while scoring 152 hits.
• The OSU starting pitchers have allowed only 17 earned runs (1.99 ERA) and 45 hits in 77 innings away from home.
• With Greg Fuchs’ first career multi-hit game on Tuesday, the Beavers now have 16 players who have done at least one such performance this season.
• Matthew Gretler’s Tuesday home run gives the Beavers 12 players with at least one.
• The OSU is 23-0 if they lead in the ninth inning.
• OSU has won four games, the third of four or more this season. The other streaks of beavers were for 10 and seven games respectively.
• Jake Mulholland needs a save to tie Oregon’s Jimmie Sherfy for the third highest ever in Pac-12 history. Mulholland is 39 on an Oregon State record.
• Andy Armstrong does a four-game series on the street.
• OSU is 18-3 if scored first.